5 SEO Tags to remember

SEO Marketing Keywords

Image: David Castillo Dominici / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is all about placing the most important content first, and putting them in tags that matter. If you don’t place your information correctly, search engines may list your site for something irrelevant, or worse, not list you at all. HTML Tags make a difference, and you should keep this in mind when writing content and coding websites.

META Tags

Meta information can be important depending on the search engine, however for the main searches, be sure that you have your META Description for each page, and each of them are unique. If they are all the same, search engines like Google will simply think you have 300 pages of the same things. Descriptions shouldn’t exceed 200 characters, and some search engines limit it to 160 character. If you like, you can generate these based on the first paragraph of text on your page, but be sure to limit it. Too long of a description can result in penalties from search engines.

TITLE Tags

Titles are what give your site a name, and if every page is the same, search engines won’t know how to rank you. A simple but effective SEO tactic with blogs is to have the Blog Post Title first, then the Blog Title on all single post pages. This tells search engines there’s a difference. Also, using Title tags is an excellent place to use your desired keywords, making sure that each title has some of the words you’re targeting, within reason. There is a limit for most search engines that they’ll only read 11 words or 70 characters, so keep it short.

HEADER Tags

Header tags are what essentially “organize” your site. From H1 to H6, you are giving the words between them more importance the higher it is. Usually only one H1 tag per page, and up to 6 H2 tags as a general rule. After that it is pretty lax but the general understanding is that this is used for titles and sub-titles displayed on the page, not for text. Keep in mind that this isn’t just for search engines, you need to organize it so your readers know the flow of your content. If it doesn’t flow, your reader will go.

A (Anchor) Tags

Links are the currency of the web. The more link (Anchors) you have pointing to your site, the higher you’ll usually rank. These link not only depend on who is linking, but what the content of that site has as well and the text they used to refer to you. The anchor text is VERY important. It tells the search engines what they are linking to. If it says “Click Here”, how does it communicate that it’s linking to an amazing SEO Marketing strategy? Plus, if the link is found on a page about dogs, then links to your specialized site on computer programming, how is it relevant? Search engines learned long ago that people will pay for links all over the web, so now they make sure that the people linking to you are related to you in some way. If you 10 good links to your site, from 10 relevant sites, it’ll pay off more than 500 on totally random sites. Also how quickly you build these links is important. If you gain 1000 links in one, Google will notice and put a red flag. If you gain 20 a day for 50 days, THEN you have an amazing track record and Google will rank you for it.

Anchor tags also link within your own site, and this is important. Referring to your previous posts, references within your pages, important sections, etc .. all of it is important. Generally speaking, you should link within your site about 70% of the total links on a page. The other 30% is external links. The total number of links should also be kept to a reasonable level, about 100 links per page is about the upper limit. More than that, and it just seems spammy and again, you get a red flag.

STRONG and EM Tags

This is used to add emphasis to words in your posts, and does essentially the same job as the B and I tags. The only difference is that B/I tags don’t have weight, whereas STRONG and EM do. Not all search engines place weight on these tags, but it is wise to use them when appropriate to emphasize some keywords for search engines.

Remember, SEO is not only about great content and well placed keywords, but also how it’s displayed, both to your visitors and search engines.

 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Speak Your Mind

*